Pages

Saturday 26 March 2011

Nikon D3100

As promised, here's my initial impression of the Nikon D3100 with Nikon AF-S DX 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR lens.

Nikon D3100 is here

For a start, it's AWESOME!

Whilst I was waiting for my order to be delivered, I read reviews saying that the build quality feels somewhat too plasticity and I was a bit concerned. Now that it's with me, I can confirm that it's not as bad as I thought! I've held Nikon D7000 before and apart from it being heavier, I don't feel much different from the D3100. I'm not an expert in these by any means but the size, weight, shape and build feels comfortable for my hands. So I've got no complaints.

 Nikon D3100 (front)

In terms of usability, it's got a friendly user interface and everything was simple to set up. First battery charge took around 1.5hrs and soon after, I was already firing shots. It's got few modes, Auto, M (manual), A (aperture priority), S (shutter-speed priority) and P (programmed auto), just to name the main ones.

Having no prior experience in, I took a shot with the Auto setting and I was pleased with the picture quality instantly. Of course, the purpose of getting a DSLR is for its ability to manually change the settings to adjust for exposure.

 Nikon D3100 (back)

The Full HD video recording functionality is okay, not massively impressed with it. You can only take up to 10mins of video recording and the built-in mic will pick up the focusing noise caused by the lens. However, I bought a DSLR for picture taking, not video recording. As such, I wasn't really disappointed by this. It's good to have the functionality there though!

Nikon AF-S DX 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR lens

I'll post pictures up (not until I get some nice shots!) via Snapshots of Life Photostream (it's empty at the moment) hosted by Flickr located in the top right panel.

In general, based on the price and first impression, I'm pleased with my purchase and would definitely recommend this entry level DSLR kit to anyone who wishes to step into the world of photography. You will not be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment